Artificial Intelligence: What Judges Need to Know
Monday, Sep 14, 2020
toThursday, Sep 17, 2020
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Artificial intelligence (AI) will impact every field. The judicial branch of government is not an exception. Judges will hear cases involving autonomous vehicles, medical malpractice, and other legal areas involving AI. In addition, judges will be asked to use AI in their own work. AI is being developed to determine the risk of criminal defendants, the amount of bail, and to assess the appropriate sentences. AI is impacting how a attorneys practice law including the deep analysis of judicial decisions enabling a litigator to tailor an argument to a particular judge. How can a judge determine if an AI system is trustworthy?
After the conclusion of this course, judges will be able to:
- Determine the trustworthiness of an AI system;
- Recognize the potential for litigation involving AI;
- Identify how AI will change the art of judging;
- Identify how AI will change the practice of law; and
- Apply standard for AI adoption within the judicial branch.