What will I learn?
During this course, you will learn to:
- Be able to review DUI complaints to ensure proper filing.
- Understand the importance of including discovery obligations and time limits in pretrial orders.
- Recognize due process implications when including pretrial and trial procedures in pretrial orders, including a defendant’s speedy trial right, when setting a trial date.
- Learn and evaluate the different types of evidence that may be offered at trial, including 911 call recordings, dashcam images, the officer’s observations, FSTs, bodycam images, physical evidence and witness statements/testimony, scientific breath testing procedures and results, and scientific blood testing procedures and results.
- Develop skill to weigh and impose appropriate sentencing options that might include perpetrator engagement, victim impact statements, M.A.D.D. Victim Impact Panels, mandatory or discretionary imprisonment, fines and community service, residential or out-patient services, probation and conditions, and electronic monitoring.