What will I learn?
During this course, you will learn to:
- Describe the unique elements of environmental and land use cases and how they differ materially from other legal controversies; and
- Identify the science as it relates to litigation around water and air pollution, surface water use and groundwater, toxics, hazardous waste, emerging chemical litigation, land use litigation and climate science.
Curriculum Development Committee Members:
- Chair: Hon. Merideth Wright, former Environmental Judge, State of Vermont and current Distinguished Judicial Scholar, Environmental Law Institute
- Hon. Jeffrey P. Crabtree, Senior Environmental Court Judge, First Circuit Court, O’ahu, Hawai’i
- John C. Cruden, Principal, Beveridge & Diamond, PC
- Robert L. “Buzz” Hines, Partner, Farella, Braun and Martel, LLP
- John “Jay” Pendergrass, Vice President, Programs and Publications, Environmental Law Institute
- Hon. Ronald B. Robie, Associate Justice, California 3rd District Court of Appeal
- Sandra Nichols Thiam, Associate Vice President for Research and Policy, and Director, Judicial Education Program, Environmental Law Institute
- Hon. Eric J. Wildman, Administrative District Judge, Fifth Judicial District, Twin Falls, ID
This course is designed for judges, but available to court staff and attorneys by application.