Oral History Project
The NJC turns 60 in 2023 and we are gathering your stories
The NJC turns 60 in 2023, and we’ve contracted with Publishing Concepts Inc. (PCI), a company that specializes in college and university alumni oral histories, to gather stories from our judicial alumni, faculty and friends. The company has been in business for almost a hundred years.
PCI will mail out postcards with an invitation to share your NJC memories and verify the contact information we have on record for you. We appreciate your help. But note: There is no obligation to participate or to purchase the resulting memory book or anything Publishing Concepts will offer for sale.
Also, your contact information has not been sold and will not be shared or reused by PCI.
I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information and a story about The National Judicial College. Is this a legitimate project or is it a scam?
It’s legit! We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an oral history for The National Judicial College. PCI is a family-owned business based in Dallas, Texas, that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for almost 100 years. This project allows the NJC to hear about your personal experiences and explain how The National Judicial College has helped shape your lives.
Does The National Judicial College benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – such as contact information, current position or retirement status
- Legacy – preserves the history of our school. Our 60th anniversary is just over a year away.
- Revenue – starting in January 2022, a small part of the prices of item packages generates support for scholarships and NJC operations
- Pride – wearing NJC apparel shows support and love for the school (and the judiciary)
How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact personal identifiable information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, then ask you to share your story about your time at the NJC. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to the college at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated National Judicial College update line at 1-855-912-6498.
I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time to share your story.
I shared a story and the representative said I could send some photos. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload up to two photos (black and white or color) plus captions.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send physical photos in to be printed (note: photos will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
Can anyone purchase a book?
The National Judicial College Oral History Publication will be available for sale only to NJC alumni and friends.
When will I receive my book?
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in December 2021, the books will be distributed in December 2022.
I ordered a book/package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.
If you have any other questions regarding the project, please reach out to the PCI customer service desk at 866-647-3130 or the College via email@example.com. Please mention Oral History Project in the subject line.